- Insurance Information
- Driver Training Discount
What is the Driver Training Discount?
Drivers under age 21 who complete a state approved driver training course are automatically entitled to a 10% discount on Bodily Injury, Property Damage, Medical Payments, Personal Injury Protection and Collision coverages.
A state approved driver training course must meet the following standards:
- The course included a minimum of 30 clock hours of classroom instruction plus a minimum of 6 clock hours of actual driving experience per student.
- The course was conducted by instructors certified by the State Department of Education or other responsible educational agency, and
- The course was conducted by a recognized secondary school, college or university and had the approval of the State Department of Education or other responsible educational agency, or
- The course was conducted by other schools, and such course and school had the approval and supervision of the State Department of Education or other responsible educational agency, or
- The course was conducted by a commercial driving school under the jurisdiction of the Motor Vehicle Department provided that by Statute or Regulation such school meets the same requirements as schools having official sanction from the responsible state educational agency.
Prior to applying any driver training discounts to a policy, we will request satisfactory evidence that the student has successfully completed an approved driver education course. Satisfactory evidence of completion is a certificate signed by a school official certifying to the fulfillment of the requirements above.
The following states have special requirements:
New York Residents:
Students completing one of the revised driver education courses will be issued the revised MV-285, Student Certificate of Completion, instead of the previously issued "blue card". The student may present the bottom part of the MV-285 (Insurance Copy-"Eligibility for Reduction of Insurance Premium") for a premium reduction. Schools have the option of either completing the Insurance Copy or continuing to issue notifications of completion on school letterhead. The revised form contains verifiable security features.
A 10% discount for driver training includes school taught trainees and parent taught trainees. The following documents are considered satisfactory evidence for the discount:
- 50 - 30 Driver Training Certificate
- Texas Driver Education Certificate DL-41A
- MVR noting the driver education course was completed.
- 964-D or 964-E, Driver Education Certificate or any other form approved by the Texas Education Agency.
You can send your information as an attachment by clicking the 'send us an e-mail' link above next to the frequently asked questions tab, or send it to:21st Century Insurance PO Box 15510 Wilmington, DE 19886-9252 Fax Number: 1(866) 447-2611 Attn: Correspondence
Please note that savings amounts may vary by state and the discount is not available in California, Michigan or North Carolina.