Take a few extra precautions this holiday season
21st Century Insurance wants to remind customers that with the arrival of the 2010 holiday season, it's not only a busy time of year for travel, but it's also a hectic time for shopping.
The holidays are a time when busy people can become careless and vulnerable to theft and other crime.
So please be careful while you are traveling or shopping this year, and take some time for a few extra precautions. The following tips can help you be more careful, prepared and aware during the holiday season.
• Ask mall or store security for an escort before leaving your shopping location if you feel uncomfortable.
• Keep all car doors locked and windows closed while in or out of your car. Set your alarm or use an anti-theft device.
• Never leave your car unoccupied with the motor running or with children inside.
• If you must shop at night, park in a well-lighted area.
• Avoid parking next to vans, trucks with camper shells, or cars with tinted windows.
• Park as close as you can to your destination and take notice of where you parked.
• Do not leave packages or valuables on the seat of your car. This creates a temptation for thieves. If you must leave something in the car, lock it in the trunk or put it out of sight.
• Be sure to locate your keys prior to going to your car.
• Keep a secure hold on your purse, handbag and parcels. Do not put them down or on top of the car in order to open the door.
• When approaching or leaving your vehicle be aware of your surroundings.
• Do not approach your car alone if there are suspicious people in the area.
• Avoid driving alone or at night.
Source: Los Angeles Police Department Crime Prevention Section (visit www.lapdonline.org/crime_prevention)